Plastic Packaging Tax (PPT) Update
If you have exceeded the 10 tonne threshold and registered for Plastic Packaging Tax (PPT) you must submit your PPT return and pay any tax due by 29 July 2022.
With the deadline less than 2 weeks away we wanted to share some helpful reminders on completing PPT returns and submitting payments.
Important information – first returns and payments:
- Your PPT return needs to include plastic packaging your business manufactured and/or imported into the UK from when you became liable to 30 June 2022 (the first accounting period).
- You must keep accounts and records to support the information provided when you complete your quarterly PPT return.
- Your accounts must show how you have worked out the figures you submit on your PPT return, and your records must show the evidence to support these figures.
- You must keep your accounts and records for at least 6 years from the end of the accounting period, and record weight in tonnes, kilograms and grams.
- You will need to pay any tax due through your online PPT account. You can pay via Direct Debit, Bacs, CHAPS, Debit/Corporate credit card or Faster Payments.
- For a reminder of these steps and all return and payment dates for 2022-23, download the HMRC PPT flyer.
PPT webinar recordings:
You can watch recordings of the HMRC's latest PPT webinar sessions on GOV.UK. The Introduction to Plastic Packaging Tax’ webinar includes new content setting out the returns, payments and relief process. All videos feature timestamps so you can go straight to your area of interest.
Guidance for PPT is available on the collection page. HMRC continue to enhance the PPT guidance pages to help address your frequently asked questions. Recent updates include:
- Support on how to claim tax relief on a return when plastic packaging components are exported in the same accounting period they are manufactured or imported.
- Presentation and additional clarity of the claiming a tax relief guidance page.
- New content on how to cancel a registration.
- New content on how to pay PPT.
PPT Roundtable Presentation
Keep up to date on the latest on PPT
The BPIF hosted a PPT advisory roundtable on Tuesday 12 July to look at PPT so far and the requirements for Q1 submission.
Click here to access the presentation.
If you have any questions please email the BPIF Plastic Packaging Tax Helpdesk at [email protected].
Further information can be found here.
For more guidance, click here.